Something healthy and quick to whip up
- Pinch of salt
- 1 serving broccoli per child
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe, chopped
- 12 ounces short whole wheat pasta
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil1 onion, halved and sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 28-ounce can peeled plum tomatoes, crushed with your hands
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter per child
- 1 12-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Parmesan (optional)
- 1 ounce crumbled pasteurized feta cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it well. Add the broccoli and cook until crisp-tender, 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a bowl. Add the broccoli rabe to the water and cook until tender, 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a large serving bowl. Add the pasta and cook until al dente.
2. Meanwhile, in a large chef’s pan, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat until beginning to brown, 8 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their liquid and a pinch of salt; simmer, stirring occasionally, until saucy, 5 minutes. Transfer a big spoonful of sauce to each child’s bowl.
3. Add the cooked broccoli rabe and beans to the tomato sauce along with a pinch of pepper flakes. Simmer until the beans are warm, 2 minutes.
4. Stir a serving of pasta into the child’s bowl, along with the butter. Garnish with feta or parmesan if desired and serve with the cooked broccoli. Stir the remaining pasta into the sauce. Add the feta and simmer and stir for 1 minute. Serve right away.